Saturday 11 May 2013

A Memory Lost on the Main Trunk Line - May 2008


A Memory Lost on the Main Trunk Line.



She's a King Country Mother, growing old before her time,
Her heart is clad in silver, which beats a golden chime,
in Taumarunui, Taumarunui, Taumarunui on the Main Trunk Line.

You can get to Taumarunui, fly to Auckland, then train South.
And you pull in there at midnight, to see that smile upon her mouth,
To see that Grey-Eyed Goddess, to see that twinkle in her eye.
But she gone West to see a Joker, in a Woolshed in the sky
from Taumarunui, Taumarunui, Taumarunui on the Main Trunk Line.

She's the sheila in the Woolshed, with scones and cups'a tea,
And she'd save a Mother's smile, especially for me.
Her hair of speckled silver, and lips of flaming red,
I love'd that flamin' shiela, but she's up and gone and fled
from Taumarunui, Taumarunui, Taumarunui on the Main Trunk Line.

Now I can get a job in Brisbane or in a mine up North,
But I can't get one in Godzone though I try for all I'm worth.
If I want to see my Mother, I've got to fly then ride the train.
Get those moments by her graveside, before I head up North again.
from Taumarunui, Taumarunui, Taumarunui on the Main Trunk Line.

Well they took my first sweet heart, laid her out in her best dress,
And I hoped that she'd live forever but now she's all a flamin' mess.
Those cigarettes did flog her and her meds got changed that day,
So God came down and took her, on His second day in May,
in Taumarunui, Taumarunui, Taumarunui on the Main Trunk Line.

Yeah I'm an ordinary joker, growin' old before me time,
'Cause me heart's in Ta'm'runui on the Main Trunk Line.

In Ta'm'r'nui, Ta'm'r'nui, Ta'm'r'nui on the Main Trunk Line,
In Ta'm'r'nui, Ta'm'r'nui, Tamra-bloody-nui on the Main Trunk Line!

In memory of my Mum who moved on in May 2008,
with some lines harmonised to those penned by poet Peter Cape.


No comments:

Post a Comment